This post is a part of Audit Analytics’ series on audit market concentration across select countries in Europe.
For fiscal year 2020, the Big Four firms account for a staggering 98% of the market share across Italy’s top 100 companies on the FTSE MIB and FTSE Italia Mid Cap indexes. Capturing the other 2% of the market is BDO, with just two companies.
Italy’s auditor market share for the top companies trading on the Borsa Italiana in 2020 looks similar to 2019, with five firms auditing the entire market. However, the audit firm market share percentages for the Big Four changed. Deloitte’s market share jumped from 16% in 2019 to 24% in 2020. As a result, they overtook KPMG for third in the audit firm market share ranking for FTSE MIB and FTSE Italia Mid Cap engagements. BDO, which audited two companies in this population last year, held onto their market share for 2020.
In total, there are five accounting firms that audit the top 100 companies listed on the Borsa Italiana. Here, we look at the auditor market share among Italy’s top two indexes: the FTSE MIB and the FTSE Italia Mid Cap.
This is the benchmark index, consisting of the top 40 companies trading on the Borsa Italiana. EY and PwC hold the lead here, with 32% and 27% of the market share, respectively. Deloitte is close behind, accounting for 23%, while KPMG closes out the Big Four with 15%. Finally, this leaves the final 3% of the market to BDO, auditing only one of these top 40 companies.
FTSE Italia Mid Cap
This index is composed of the next 60 largest companies. Here, we see a slight deviation from the market share of the FTSE MIB. In this index, PwC leads the way with 33% of the market, and Deloitte follows behind with 25%. Additionally, EY, the FTSE MIB leader, is pushed into third with 22% of the market. KPMG again closes out the big four with 18%, and BDO takes the last 2% with only one company in the index.
Interested in our content? Be sure to subscribe to receive our email notifications.